As summer temperatures rise, it’s important to ensure that your vehicle’s tyres are in good condition to handle the road. Increased friction from rolling, turning, and braking, combined with hotter pavement temperatures, can pose potential risks. To help you stay safe on your summer drives, consider these tyre safety tips from the experts at Discount Tire.
- Know Your Tyres’ Age: Older tyres are at a higher risk of failure. Check the Tire Identification Number on the sidewalls to determine the age of your tyres. Tyres over 6 years old should be replaced, ideally in sets of two or four, to ensure even wear and maximum safety.
- Check Your Tread: The depth of your tyre tread affects handling, traction, and stopping distance. To assess tread depth, use the penny test: place a penny upside-down into a tread groove, and if President Lincoln’s head is visible, it’s time to replace your tyres as they have worn beyond the recommended safe tread depth of less than 4/32 inch.
- Get Pressure Right and Check It Often: Low tyre pressure can negatively impact handling, fuel efficiency, and tyre wear. Check your tyre pressure at least once a month, especially before long trips. Remember that temperature changes affect air pressure, so check when tyres are cool. Refer to the manufacturer’s recommended pressure, typically found on a sticker in your car’s door jamb or in the owner’s manual.
- Rotate Often: Tyres wear differently depending on their location on the vehicle. Rotate your tyres every 6,000 miles to distribute wear evenly and optimise handling, traction, and stopping power. If you notice uneven wear, consider rotating them more frequently. If you use seasonal tyres, Discount Tire offers all-season tyre changeover to ensure optimal traction for each season.
- Inspect Your Trunk: Check what equipment your vehicle has to handle tyre issues, such as puncture-coating sealants, air compressors, or run-flat tyres. Ensure you have a roadside assistance plan in case of flat repairs or replacements.
For more tyre safety tips, to find a store near you, or to schedule a service appointment, visit discounttire.com or use the mobile app. Stay safe on the road this summer!